Okay, so we wouldn’t dare use a few shameless Top Gun references to tout our latest custom Hamilton trailer. But this beauty we designed for none other than the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds—those mighty jets that headline air and water shows everywhere—is the Maverick of all trailers. Sorry not sorry!
Our mission: Custom-engineer a low-riding trailer to carry test equipment on and off transport planes that accompany the Thunderbirds to their next show. The trailer base had to be low enough for clearance, but stable enough to carry the haul—contained in tall, narrow cabinets—up and down aircraft ramps and onto the tarmac. To protect such precious cargo, we gave the trailers extra cushioning with four 18-inch-diameter pneumatic tires. Lever activated scrub brakes ensure the trailers stay put when parked, while lashing rings on all sides provide extra security to lock down that load. Did someone say wingman?
Enter the danger zone specs:
Test Equipment Transport Trailer
- Capacity: 2,000 lbs.
- Deck Size: 28" wide X 60" long
- Deck Height: 13"
- Deck Material: Smooth steel plate
- Clearance under frame: 8” minimum
- Steering Type: 2-wheel knuckle style
- Running Gear: Four 18" diameter full pneumatic tires mounted to steel rims and bolt-on hubs fitted with tapered roller bearings
- Brakes: Lever-activated scrub brake
- Couplers: Front, Tongue with towing eye; Rear, none
- Other: 2 tie-down rings on each side frame (8 total)
- Finish: White epoxy